CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Strict school Strict Teachers????

update. they change classes for math , science, and reading, two recesses and a lunch. That is the time they are allowed to use the bathroom so they really should have plenty of time.

My kids go to this school and I am super excited about it. They have recently become managed by APA American preparatory academy. They wear uniforms, which I love. Even though it creates tons of laundry. So this year they have REALLY stepped up the structure. The have to sit in learning position, which is feet on the floor and hands clasped on the desk. When the teacher asks a question they all respond in unison. If she asks a yes or no question they answer back with no or yes MAM.. They have seven different infractions they can be punished for. If they have to go to the bathroom they have to "pull a card" and lose five minutes of recess. If they are unprepared for the day. Or if there parents didn't sign their daily learning log the also have to pull a card. My kids are very nervous about school. They are pestering me and almost in tears if I don't sign their sheet immediately when they get home.
They are also doing some fun stuff they have cheers and chants and the teacher is constantly praising the class. The teacher asks questions and the kids respond every thirty seconds to a minute (in unison).
So the reason I am telling you all this is because there has been an unbelievable amount of drama. Parents are freaking out, there is a we hate excelsior academy page on facebook . People are threatening to not send their kids the day the budget is allotted for the year. People who know anything about APA always seem a little nervous when I tell them they are managing the school.
So all the drama makes me nervous. I have been very pleased and excited. I think all the structure is good for the kids. I am a very fun and low key mom with little to no structure. So I feel it is a good balance to my personality. I wonder what all you other moms think. Should I be nervous? Should I be listening to all the drama and figuring out the root of it all or just ignorantly bliss full??

6 comments:

Texas Dimons said...

I would be more concerned with how your kids handle it. Sitting in the same position, pulling a card and losing recess because you have to go to the bathroom seems a bit extreme (unless a particular student is using the bathroom to get out of work) but if your kids are happy and progressing that's what matters. As a teacher I was more lax in the class. We got done what we needed, but not all kids can sit still like that. I had one who preferred to stand most of the day because he was a bit active. As long as he wasn't bothering anyone, I didn't care. It all goes back to how your kids are handling it. I would ignore the drama if it's not bothering your kids!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I wouldn't have my kids going there! It's too rigid. Let kids be kids. I mean, they need to go to school to learn and they need to follow rules but lose 5 minutes of recess because they have to pee? Or respond in unison using "mam"? Sounds like your kids are in prison and are feeling the anxiety about it too. It's not like they are bad kids who need this strict setting. Is it necessary to have that much structure? Maybe what you need to decide is what is most important to YOU that your kids learn while in school?

Camey said...

The only thing I completely disagree with is the going to the bathroom. I know that some kids abuse using the bathroom, but most just go when they have to. I just think of those with bladder problems and ones who will try to hold it and then end up peeing their pants. That is just my opinion though!

Krista said...

Oh Melissa I miss you so!!! I know I am such a terrible friend, you may not even remember me it's been so long- it's me one of your many Texas friends, the hair friend, the crazy girl that moved to Baltimore and doesn't know what to do with her self- Ha Ha Ha. Anyway I've had a fun time reading your posts. You are too funny! Oh and if I had the chance I too would send my kids to a charter school, if I was as good as Erica I would homeschool, but Brynlee's not even in Kinder and i already get frustrated with the "academic teaching" thing. But ya, i'm with ya, I think it is good-from what I know!
take care!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like me. I'm a strict teacher. Students have recess and lunch recess to use the bathroom, if they don't then that's their problem. I do allow one "emergency" use during class and that's it. Didn't you know about the teaching styles and expectations before you registered your students? What is the surprise? I'm with everyone else, are your kids happy and getting a good education? Then leave them there.

Nordy's said...

Hmmmm... I don't see an issue with saying "yes, Mam and no Mam", more kids should do this. J goes to karate and they have to address their instructor this way. Melissa - if your kids are well adjusted and this balances your life out, what is the issue? Okay the bathroom thing is a little much, but it is true that many students do abuse bathroom privileges. Maybe parents are upset because Utah schools are notorious for being lax - so it is outside of their comfort zone. All I know is my sister would have jumped hoops to have her kids in this school rather than the regular public schools her girls went to in SL and Bountiful. Don't give in to the pressure. Look at each of your kids and see how they are doing. If it isn't working for one, there is nothing saying you can't pull one and put her in public school. Assess, reassess, and act accordingly. Do what is best for your family.